Privacy impact assessment: CNIL releases version 3.0 of its PIA software
The CNIL has published a new version of the PIA software which enables anyone to customise the tool's knowledge base and thus centralise the knowledge specific to its activity relating to privacy impact assessment. It allows the creation of knowledge bases dedicated to types of projects and the addition of elements to describe the organisational, legal or technical company’s specific practices.
Privacy Impact Assessments are one of the compliance tools allowing to formally describe data processing operations and assess the risks to individuals.
The new version 3.0 of the PIA tool has been enhanced with a major new feature to customise the information in the knowledge base that is continuously present and guides the completion of an analysis. This allows to :
- create knowledge bases in addition to those initially provided by the CNIL,
- add entries to knowledge bases and create categories,
- associate each entry with a specific section(s) of the analysis to display them at the appropriate time when the analysis is being carried out.
Other improvements and fixes include:
- the implementation of an integrated tutorial allowing to discover step by step the tool and its functioning,
- addition of a breadcrumb trail to facilitate navigation,
- technical redesign of the tool with Angular 11,
- optimisation and technical improvement of the tool,
- direct integration of Electron into the tool,
- graphic corrections to the interface ;
- corrections of various bugs.
The PIA tool is available in 20 languages: Croatian, Czech, Danish, Dutch, English, Estonian, Finnish, French, German, Greek, Hungarian, Italian, Lithuanian, Norwegian, Polish, Portuguese, Romanian, Slovenian, Spanish and Swedish.
You can download the PIA tool on the PIA webpage. If you experience any problems when using this version of the tool, please consult the user manual available in the software or refer to the FAQ. You can also get directly involved by freely contributing on Github.