First G7 of Data Protection Authorities: an international debate on cooperation in digital regulation
The first-ever meeting of the G7 member countries' data protection authorities was held from September 7 to 8, 2021, under the chairmanship of the UK Information Commissioner's Office (ICO). On this occasion, the authorities exchanged on international data protection issues.
Following the G7 meeting of digital and technology ministers held last spring, the data protection authorities were able to address, during two days of debates and discussions by videoconference, the major challenges of digital regulation at the international level as well as the need for closer cooperation between regulators.
In France, the CNIL was represented by Marie-Laure Denis, its chair, and Bertrand du Marais, commissioner.
At the end of the meeting, a joint communiqué addressing the specific points of discussion was adopted and published. A new meeting is expected to be held in 2022, under the presidency of the German Federal Commissioner for Data Protection and Information Rights (BfDI), when Germany assumes the G7 presidency next year.
- Privacy and Competition Intersection – Cross-regulatory collaboration to support a robust global digital economy
- Shaping the Future of Online Tracking
- Designing Artificial Intelligence in line with Data Protection
- Redesigning Remedies for the Digital Age
- Pandemic-Driven Tech Innovation: A Stress Test for Data Protection Rights
- Governement Access and Data Flow at International Level: What Role for Regulatory Cooperation in Ensuring Real Trust?
- Development of a Framework for Cross-Border Transfer of Personal Data and Cooperation between G7 Data Protection Authorities
G7 data protection authorities
- Commissariat à la protection de la vie privée (Canada)
- Commission nationale de l'informatique et des libertés, CNIL (France)
- Bundesbeauftragter für den Datenschutz und die Informationsfreiheit - BfDI (Germany)
- Garante per la Protezione dei Dati Personali (Italia)
- Personal Information Protection Commission, 個人情報保護委員会 (Japan)
- Information Commissioner's Office - ICO (United Kingdom)
- Federal Trade Commission - FTC (United States of America)